Saturday, January 3, 2009

2005 Picchetti Merlot, Santa Clara Valley

Considering that it's one of the most widely planted grapes in the world, it's surprising how little Merlot I drink. It isn't that I have anything against the varietal, it just tends not to do that much for me. Case in point is the 2005 Picchetti, sourced primarily from the Dorcich vineyard in Santa Clara Valley.

It's a pleasant, easy drinking wine. The nose shows alcohol (it has 14.9%) and coffee. It's fruity without my being able to identify anything specific; just generic black fruits. The oak shows much more than I remember from the last time I tasted it, offering a strong coffee/dark chocolate finish. No point in cellaring, it's ready to drink now.

Overall there's nothing wrong with this wine; it simply didn't excite me. According to CellarTracker I paid $27 and I can think of plenty of other wines in that price range that I'd rather have.

0 comments: