Sunday, January 25, 2009

2006 Stefania Uvas Creek Cabernet Sauvignon

We had guests over to dinner last night. I was making Tournedos Rossini and wanted a nice cab to go with it, then remembered I hadn't tried one of these yet. It had half an hour in a decanter by way of an aerating funnel.

It has a floral nose of violets and a little smoke, as if there was some Petite Verdot in there (but there isn't). On the palate it's rich and meaty with flavours of brambles. The tannins are smooth, leaving a good finish. The label notes say it'll keep for up to 10 years; not around here it won't.

The wine won a Silver medal at the 2009 SF Wine Competition, which vastly under-rates it in my view.

1 comments:

Wes Barton said...

I popped and poured one of these at my Dad's birthday gig last week. The best yet. It's really taken on depth and intensity. Got some wows. I agree with the brambly blackberry, a bit of a flinty minerality, excellent spice and intense, balanced mouthfeel. Some lavender showed up after it had been open a while. In my book it was a 93.