Tuesday, July 22, 2008

From K&L: Does a Leaky Capsule Always Indicate Bad Wine?

My friend Rama pointed out this interesting post on the K&L Wines Blog. I didn't realise that K&L HAD a blog, so I'm doubly grateful for that.

The post concerns a magnum of 1979 Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard Bates Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon that had a leaky capsule, but turned out to be perfectly sound. I particularly liked Joe Manekin's three conclusions:

1) Wine is sometimes as resilient as it is fragile
2) CA Cabernet can pack a whole lot of richness and flavor, and still be under 13% alcohol
3) Santa Cruz Mountain wines, when they're good, age every bit as well, and often better than, wines from Napa.

1 comments:

Joe Manekin said...

Thanks for posting this. I love SCMV's wines and of course anyone familiar with their library releases knows that these wines age gracefully for many years.

Cheers,
Joe